One of my favorite projects was making the coffee filter pom-poms. I recently discovered 10-Gallon (!) coffee filters and went to town making a few for the launch party. And now you can make your own!
GIANT COFFEE FILTER POM DECOR
10-Gallon coffee filters (75 makes an awesome fluffy one)
Water and a pan or metal bowl
Newspaper or cardboard
1. Pour 1-inch of water in the pan or bowl large enough for the filters to be dipped into. Add food coloring to the water—more drops make darker hues. Swirl the pan or bowl slightly to mix the colors evenly. Quickly dip a stack of coffee filters, rim side down, into the tinted water. Lay the dipped filters, still stacked, on newspaper or cardboard and let dry 8-10 hours.
2. Fold the filters in half and stack them (I alternated dyed + plain ones for my giant pom).
3. Thread your needle with a 20-inch piece of crochet thread and line up the loose ends. Insert the needle through the middle of each half-circle, close to the fold. You may need to poke through a few of them at a time until you’ve gotten through all of them.
4. Tie all ends together in a double-knot.
5. Gently separate, fold the opposite way, and twist each half-circle.
For more project ideas and other methods of making poms, check out the book and use #awesomepoms to share your creations!
Update: My project was mentioned in Craft Magazine!